- The annual elk rut begins in the high country.
- You can hear male elks bugling all over the mountains and in the beautiful mountain valleys as they vie for the affections of females.
- Aspen leaves begin to change to a beautiful shade of gold which dot the mountainsides.
- Without question, September is our most settled and beautiful month, with North American weather systems taking a breather to offer glorious warm days and cool nights as we settle into autumn's arrival.
- Bird populations are transitioning in preparation for winter - some birds move out, some birds come back and some become nomadic in their search for food, water and shelter.
- American Goldfinches molt into a dull, nondescript color, even changing the color of the beak from orange to black.
- Jays become nomadic and revisit yards in search of food which they can store through burial. Peanuts in the shell are their favorite.